In this article, we are going to discuss Everest Base Camp Trek in April.
Trekking to Everest Base Camp or even climbing Mount Everest, for most of us, is a dream come true. If you are an avid trekker, you know how important it is. Frequent trekkers challenge themselves by attempting this peak in various seasons. But for a first timer, the best time to trek Everest Base Camp matters a lot.
The best time to trek Everest Base Camp would be the spring and autumn season. Spring or pre-monsoon falls around March-April-May while autumn around September- October- November.
April is mid-spring and is considered as one of the best times of the year to go trekking and experience the up-close clear view of the Himalayas. The weather and the climate are just perfect to explore the nature at this time of the year.
The warmer climate brings a lot of vegetation in the forests, especially in the hilly region. The forests turn green and rhododendron, bamboos, alpine and a lot of other trees add into the serenity of the place.
With warmer days around the corner, you might have to be prepared for several kinds of bugs. Repellents should do the job. On a brighter side, warmer days bring in a lot of exotic wildlife and migrating birds too.
Everest Base Camp Trek in April really has proven to be one of the most rewarding adventure trekkings in the Everest region. You can get spectacular views of majestic mountains such as Mount Everest (8,848 m), Mount Lhotse (8,516 m), Mount Nuptse (7,855 m), Mount Pumori (7,161 m), Mount Changtse (7,550 m), Mount Lingtren (6,679 m), Mount Amadablam (6,856 m), Mount Thamserku (6,723 m), Mount Kantega (6,685 m), Mount Kusum Kanguru (6,367 m), Mount Twitch peak (6,367 m), Mount Cholatse (6,335 m), Island peak (6,179 m), Lobuche peak (6,145 m), Honku South Peak (6,119 m), Mount Kongde (6,011 m), Pokalde peak (5,806 m) and Mount Khumbila (5,761 m).
Some trekkers prefer to book their trek after they reach to the capital. This could work for off seasons but as far as peak seasons are concerned, it is really a bad idea. Pre-booking means permits and other arrangements too. So you are highly advised to make pre-bookings.
Some of the recommended treks in Everest Region in the month of April are Everest Base Camp Trek, Everest Kalapathar Trekking, Gokyo Lake – Chola Pass – Everest Base Camp Trekking, Everest Panorama Trekking, Jiri to Everest Base Camp Trekking, Renjo Pass Everest Base Camp Trekking, etc. For other exciting and breathtaking trekking experience and routes, be sure to contact us for more.
Table of Contents
- Weather Conditions of Everest Base Camp in April
- Everest Base Camp Trek
- Other Recommended Treks
- Tips for Everest Base Camp Trek in April
- Trekking Equipment and Gear Lists
- Conclusion – Everest Base Camp Trek in April
- Everest Base Camp Trek in April- FAQs
Weather Conditions of Everest Base Camp in April
The weather at Everest is really unpredictable. The Everest Base Camp Trek in April though has never been affected due to the weather conditions. The trekking routes are only obstructed in case of heavy rainfall, as it results in landslides and avalanches in the higher altitudes. This causes the routes to be shut down temporarily. Other than that it is completely safe and April has to be one of the best times to trek the Everest Base Camp. The weather conditions are just perfect.
Nepal observes 6 seasons. Spring (Basanta Ritu), Summer (Grishma Ritu), Monsoon (Barsha Ritu), Autumn (Sharad Ritu), Pre-winter (Hemanta Ritu), and finally Winter (Shishir Ritu).
After October, the best season to trek in Nepal in April. No rain, no snow, and warmer nights are just perfect. The average temperature in April in the daytime is anywhere from 17 to 25 degrees and can down to 10 to 15 degrees in the morning and nighttime. There will be daylight of more than 7 hours. The skies are pretty clear giving you a picturesque view of the mountains and the hills.
Highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek in April
April, one of the best months bring bright sunny days and clear skies with mountain vistas to capture and treasure. Not to forget the unique traditions and cultures of the local people living in the area. Some of the highlights of Everest Base Camp Trek in April are enlisted below.
- Trekking to the base of the majestic Mount Everest, the highest mountain in the world (Everest Base Camp altitude: 5,380 m)
- Experience a short flight with beautiful views of the mountains to Lukla
- Clear blue skies and beautiful views all along the trekking route
- Awesome morning and night temperature
- A clear view of the mountains
- Namche Bazaar (3,450 m), the highest market in the world
- Visiting the famous Tengboche Monastery (3,867m)
- Near 360 panoramic degrees views of the mountain range from Gorak Shep (5,164 m)
- The highest point of the trek to Kala Patthar (5,545 m) with magnificent and magical views of the mountain range
- Visit the school established by Sir Edmund Hillary at Khumjung village
- Experience the culture, lifestyle, and hospitality of the Sherpas and other local ethnic tribes
Everest Base Camp Trek
One of the most popular trekking trails in Nepal is the Everest Base Camp Trek. This trek gives you the chance to experience and explore the socio-cultural lifestyle, the biodiversity and the environment of the base of the highest mountain in the world, Mount Everest.
The route has been popular since the first climbers of the Everest back in 1953.
With spectacular views of the snow-capped mountain vistas, the landscape, glacial lakes, green forests and breathtaking views are highlights of this trek. The warm hospitality of the Sherpa people will make you feel like you’ve traveled to a heaven full of great people to treat you like their own family. You can get the experience of their culture, traditions, festivals, and settlements and can visit their traditional monasteries as well.
You can get spectacular views of majestic mountains such as Mount Everest , Mount Lhotse, Mount Nuptse, Mount Pumori, Mount Changtse, Mount Lingtren, Mount Amadablam, Mount Thamserku, Mount Kantega, Mount Kusum Kanguru, Mount Twitch peak, Mount Cholatse , Island peak, Lobuche peak, Honku South Peak, Mount Kongde, Pokalde peak and Mount Khumbila.
Some of the exotic animals you might experience on the way are musk deer, leopards, jackals, mountain Thar, Gray Langur and birds like Pheasant, Lophophorus, and long tails birds.
The trekking route passes through the gateway to the Everest, Namche Bazaar (3,450 m), a bazaar at the highest altitude. The Everest Base Camp trekking starts after a short flight from Kathmandu to Lukla.
Highlights of the Trek
- Up-close view of the world’s highest mountain, Mount Everest
- Experience traditions, cultures, and lifestyle of the Sherpa people and other local ethnic tribes
- Visiting the famous Tengboche Monastery
- Magnificent view of the mountain peaks like Mount Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Changtse, Ama Dablam, and other famous peaks in the region
- Namche Bazaar (3,450 m), highest trade center
- Best weather condition and breathtaking views.
Other Recommended Treks
Springtime is one of the two best seasons to trek here. There are a lot of choices you can choose from.
Everest Kalapathar Trek
Everest Kalapathar Trek is another popular trekking route in the Everest region. The spring is yet again a perfect season to view the panoramic views of the mountain vistas.
The Everest Kala Pathar Trek starts after a short flight from Kathmandu to Lukla. The trekking then starts on foot from Lukla till you reach the base camp and then finally to Kala Patthar. You will pass through a beautiful Sherpa town, Namche Bazaar, which is also a trade center at the world’s highest altitude.
The spring season brings greenery so you will be passing through beautiful patches of birch and rhododendron forests. Exotic and rare wildlife like musk deer, mountain goats, gray langur, and other wild animals and birds such as pheasant, Lophophorus, long-tailed birds can also be encountered.
You will also get a chance to visit several Buddhist monasteries along the way. One of the famous monasteries that you will visit is Tengboche Monastery. The trekking route is inhabited by Sherpa people where you can experience their hospitality, culture, tradition, settlements, and lifestyle.
Kala Patthar at an altitude of 5,545 m is considered one of the best places to view Mount Everest. From here 360 panoramic views of the Himalayas including the four highest peaks in the world above 8000 m, Mount Cho Oyu (8,201m), Mount Makalu (8,463 m), Mount Lhotse (8,516 m), and Mount Everest (8,848 m) is spectacular.
Highlights of the Trek
- Short flight with adventurous mountain view from Kathmandu to Lukla
- Up-close 360 panoramic views of the Mount Everest
- Four highest peaks in the world above 8000 m; Mount Cho Oyu (8,201m), Mount Makalu (8,463 m), Mount Lhotse (8,516 m) and the Mount Everest (8,848 m)
- Experiencing the hospitality, culture, tradition, and lifestyle of Sherpas and other local ethnic tribes
- Visiting Tengboche Monastery
Renjo Pass Everest Base Camp Trekking
There are many routes to reach the base camp of Mount Everest and each of them has unique features. One of such exciting and challenging trek in the Everest region is Renjo Pass Everest Base Camp Trekking.
This trekking route gives you the chance to explore the Everest Base Camp through other exciting and unique places like Cho La pass and Renjo-La. The 20-day trek to the base camp is best for people who have a long time to spend in the Himalayas. This is a heaven-like experience for adventure lovers and photographers as April month has one of the best climates.
April brings a lot of greeneries in the hilly region, a perfect place to get your eyes the rest it always wanted. It is said that green color is best for eyes and with the cool air of the mountains, viewing such great landscaped vistas will take your stress and pain away.
The trek also gives you a chance to explore beautiful places like Namche Bazaar (the highest trade center in the world), Thame, and Lukla. The flight from Kathmandu to Lukla is one of the most adventurous flight you will take. You will get a birds-eye view of the Himalayan ranges.
You sure will enjoy the landscape, beautiful flora and fauna, mountain peaks along the trekking route.
Highlights of the Trek
- Adventurous mountain flight with a spectacular view of the Himalayan range from Kathmandu to Lukla
- Getting close to the high passes, Cho-La pass () and Renjo La pass (5,360 m)
- The foot of Mount Everest (8,848 m), the world’s highest mountain
- View of highest peaks above 8,000 m such as Mount Cho Oyu (8,201 m), Mount Makalu (8,463 m), Mount Lhotse (8,516 m), and Mount Everest (8,848 m)
- Exploring the local Sherpa tribe and their hospitality, culture, tradition, and lifestyle
- Beautiful flora and fauna of the Everest region
- Namche Bazaar (3,450 m), the highest marketplace in the world
- Visiting monasteries in Tengboche and Dingboche.
Gokyo- Cho La- Everest Base Camp Luxury Trek
A short 12-day trek to the Everest region to explore Gokyo Chola Everest Base Camp is a combined trek to the Everest Base Camp, the Gokyo valley (4,750 m), and the high Chola Pass (5,420 m).
Gokyo valley trek offers a spectacular view of the Everest region with deep lakes and amazing glaciers. You will be able to view a 360-degree view of the mountain range from the Gokyo ridge.
You should not miss the hike up to Gokyo Ri (5,357 m) peak which is located on the west side of the Ngozumpa glacier. This glacier is the largest glacier in Nepal so you should not miss this hike from Gokyo to Gokyo-Ri.
Another fact about the Gokyo Ri is that it is known as the highest settlement in the world. The majestic mountain peaks above 8,000 m that you will be able to view from this point are Mount Cho Oyu (8,201m), Mount Makalu (8,463m), Mount Lhotse (8,516 m), and Mount Everest (8,848 m).
Reaching Chola pass at the altitude of 5,420 m is one of the most strenuous journeys in this trek but it is worth climbing for the spectacular views. In winter you will need crampons to reach the top of the slippery glacier. If you are trekking in April, you will not need crampons and it can be conquered easily.
The forests are now full of green vegetation and you can even spot exotic wildlife in the surrounding Everest region. Everest region is really a heaven for trekkers and photographers to preserve your wonderful experience for a lifetime.
The luxurious trek to the Everest Base Camp in just 12 days and reaching Gokyo Valley, Gokyo Lake, Gokyo Ri, and Chola pass is anyone’s dream come true vacation. It is a great choice for vacationing to the base camp of the world’s highest mountain.
Highlights of the Trek
- Scenic mountain view flight from Kathmandu to Lukla and back
- Exploring the local Sherpa culture, tradition, and lifestyle
- Exploring the beautiful Gokyo valley, lakes, and glacier
- Hiking up the Gokyo Ri (5,357 m)
- Crossing the highest pass, Chola Pass (5,420 m)
- View of four highest mountain peaks, Mount Cho Oyu (8,201 m), Mount Makalu (8,463 m), Mount Lhotse (8,516 m), and the majestic Mount Everest (8,848 m).
- Green lush forests and a high probability of spotting exotic wildlife
- Namche Bazaar (3,450 m), highest trade center
- Famous monastery in Tengboche
Tips for Everest Base Camp Trek in April
April, the mid-spring season in Nepal, is just perfect for trekking the Everest Base Camp Trek. The temperature ranges from 15 to 25 degrees during the day and rarely freezing at night. The mornings can be a bit chilly.
The daytime, however, can be a bit hot.
No matter what the season is, the weather in the mountains is unpredictable so be sure to get prepared for any circumstances. The weather up in the Himalayas may change drastically so it is wise to plan your trip with some spare days.
We have listed out some of the important tips for Everest Base Camp Trek in April.
- During April, it is quite hot in the daytime so plan your clothing accordingly. Wear clothes in layers so that you can take off your clothes as per your need. Slide in a rain jacket and backpack cover too.
- A pair of trekking poles are great for support and also helps you to balance your body while walking and keeps your knees safe while descending.
- Use thin gloves to protect yourself from the changing weather
- Footwear like waterproof socks and walking socks are a must. Take a pair of good quality hiking shoes with a strong grip
- Make a checklist of the items that you might need before you begin packing.
- Carrying your own luggage would be a great idea but it won’t be practical. It will drain you while trekking. Even the weight of your body will feel like a burden when you ascend and the amount of oxygen is less. Assign a porter.
- Traveling without guidance is not wise at any season. An experienced and professional trekking guide will not only guide your way but also understand the nooks and niches of the place. It would be a lot easier. You will have a great time understanding the area and the culture and lifestyle of the local people. The guide can even interact and fill the gap for you.
- You need to stay hydrated no matter what. Staying hydrated will prevent you from falling sick and it will also prevent you from altitude sickness. You should always carry your own water bottle with you. Water purification liquid or tablet should also be taken with you.
- If you have a hard time walking in the hot sun, we advise you to start your trekking early in the morning. The days are a bit hot this month but the mornings and nights are great.
Trekking Equipment and Gear Lists
You have to be extra careful while packing your equipment and gears for Everest Base Camp Trek in April. You don’t want to miss anything important and carry something that you don’t need.
Spring brings hotter days and warmer mornings and evenings so don’t waste time taking a lot of unnecessary clothing with you.
We have prepared an outline of things that might be needed. Be sure to suit your needs.
Head and Hands
- Sun hat
- Warm hat (for morning and evening)
- Polarized UV sunglasses
- Bandana or scarf
- Waterproof and windproof gloves
- Waterproof and windproof jacket
- Synthetic insulated jacket
- Down jacket
- Windstopper jacket
- Rain jacket
- Thermal innerwear
- Moisture-wicking tops
- Convertible hiking pants
- Hiking shorts
- Warm hiking undergarments
- Hiking shoes(waterproof recommended)
- Hiking socks
- Hiking sandals
Toiletries and Personal Hygiene
- Antibacterial hand-wash
- Wet wipes
- Tissue or toilet paper
- Sunscreen and other creams
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shampoo and conditioners
- Feminine hygiene products
- Quick drying towel
- Water bottle
- Trekking Poles
- Headlamps and extra batteries
- Sleeping bag
- First aid kit
- Waist bag for small items
- Extra plastic bags (to keep extra things like dirty laundry and waste)
Additional Recommended Items
- Maps of route and mountains
- Binoculars (optional)
- DSLR Camera and extra batteries
- Personal polar blanket and pillowcase (For better hygienic stay)
- Your personal documents
Conclusion – Everest Base Camp Trek in April
April is one of the best time of the year to trek in Nepal. Autumn being the other. April is mid-spring time so the weather and climate are preferable at this time of the year.
The days are a bit hot and you will have at least 7 hours of light so you will not need to rush your trek. Most of the trekkers choose to start early and rest early. We too advise you to do so as it can get a bit windy during midday at this time of the year.
The clear blue skies and gorgeous mountains will take your breath away. You get the best experience in April. Picture perfect views of the mountain vistas can be expected this season. If you get lucky enough you may encounter some exotic wildlife as well.
Since the regular trekking season begins, it is best to pre-book your trek. You can contact us for any queries or information regarding the Everest Base Camp Trek or any other trekking offered on our website.
Everest Base Camp Trek in April- FAQs
Is April the best time to trek Everest Base Camp in Nepal?
Yes, April is considered one of the best times to trek Everest Base Camp in Nepal. There are basically two seasons that are considered as the best seasons to trek in Nepal, namely Spring and Autumn season. April is mid-spring so it is definitely one of the best times of the year to trek in the Everest Base Camp or any other trekking routes in Nepal.
How is the weather and temperature like in April?
Everest base camp trek temperatures April are moderate and humid. The days are a bit hot than the nights and mornings. The sky though will be clear in this season so you will not experience any rain or snowfall. Between 1,000 m-3,500 m, the temperature could be anywhere from 20 to 25 degrees. At higher altitudes, the temperature ranges from 10 to 20 degrees. But, the weather in the mountains is quite unpredictable. If there is a storm, there might be snowfall.