At 8,136 m, Manaslu is the eighth highest peak in the world and lies in the Manaslu region of Nepal.
Manaslu trek is hugely known for its off-the-beaten-track, stunning mountain views and beautiful scenery. Manaslu Trek in March, April, May can be a quite comfortable and unique experience.
With spectacular views of the pristine mountains and jaw-dropping surrounding, it is one of the best times of the year to be here.
The Circuit Manaslu Trek is a strenuous trek. Physical fitness and strong mental affirmation are necessary to complete this trek.
The trek will take you through beautiful rhododendron forests and glacial terrain. The culturally rich villages would be a fresh experience of the countryside.
The Larkya La Pass crossing at 5,125 m is one of the highlights and also the most challenging part of this trek.
Other than this, the stunning views of Mt. Annapurna I, Annapurna South, Annapurna III, Mt. Machhapuchchhre, Gangapurna, and Ganesh Himal are also the highlights of this trek.
However, it is an adventurous trek that is possible all year round. All you need to do is keep your gear and equipment in check.
Allow us to discuss the weather, packing list, and the pros and cons of Manaslu Trek in March, April, May.
Table of Contents
Weather in March, April, May
March, April, and May are the spring months in Nepal. It is the best season for trekking in Nepal after Autumn.
Spring is ideal for trekkers who want to enjoy nature and flowers. The rhododendron flowers in the trail will be in full blossom.
And since a part of the trail falls in the Manaslu Conservation Area, there is a lot of exploration you can do. You will get to witness 1500-2000 species of flowers, 33 species of mammals including snow leopard, musk deer and over 110 species of birds here.
The weather is stable and pleasant and the days are longer making it a great time for long hikes.
The greenery and the stunning views of the majestic mountains along the trail will make trekking experience a lot more enjoyable.
Manaslu Trek in March
March is the coldest month of Spring. Since the weather is still transitioning from Winter to Spring, you might feel chilly at night and mornings.
But, it is generally warm during the days and cool at night in the lower regions of Manaslu.
However, the upper regions, are still cold and the temperature can drop to -6 degree Celsius in the nights and mornings. While you will be trekking in moderate temperatures in the day.
There could be occasional rain in the lower regions. But the upper regions will have very less to almost no rainfall.
Manaslu Trek in April
Spring is a great time to trek. It is also the most popular month among trekkers.
The weather is warmer now and more stable.
This month offers amazing views with clear skies. And the occasional rainfall makes the trail a lot cleaner and greener which energizes you while trekking.
The average daytime temperature during this month is around 6-degree Celsius.
Manaslu Trek in May
May being the last month of Spring and the closest to Summer is the hottest month in Spring.
The lower regions experience hot and sweaty climate. In the upper regions, the temperature does not go below 0-degree Celsius.
Trekking in this month can be a sweaty affair in the lower regions but in the upper region, the weather is cool and comfortable.
This is also the final month to see the last blooming rhododendrons.
Highlights of Trekking Manaslu in March, April, and May
- Since you have to cross the Larkya La Pass in this trek, the safest season to do so is Spring.
- Spring is the season for flowers. You will definitely experience it in the trail with blossoms of rhododendron and other wildflowers.
- Skies are often clear which gives you pin sharp, clear views of the mountains like the Manaslu, Himalchuli, Ngadi Chuli, Ganesh Himal etc.
- Springs also gives you an opportunity to witness streams and waterfall which otherwise dry out by mid-spring.
- The trails during Spring will be dry and clean so you can enjoy the trek to the fullest.
- You will get to interact with several other trekkers from around the world.
- Ancient Buddhist monasteries to explore in Manaslu region.
- Explore Manaslu Conservation Area.
Packing List for Manaslu Trek in March, April, and May
Base layers: Thermal shirts and trousers to lock in heat.
Mid layers: Lightweight fleece jackets and hiking pants.
Upper Layers: Warm, waterproof and windproof jackets and trousers. This is to protect yourself from the cold in the higher altitudes and occasional rain.
Handwear and Footwear
- Light and insulated gloves.
- Sturdy but comfortable hiking boots.
- Breathable and moisture absorbing socks.
- Comfortable sneakers or sandals for walking around in the villages and tea houses after the trek.
- Wide-brimmed hat
- Dark, UV protected sunglasses
- Warm beanies or buff for higher altitudes.
- Lightweight and foldable trekking poles. These are great for using when ascending and descending to take some pressure off your legs.
- Crampons to use when crossing the Larkya La Pass.
- Torchlight or headlamp to use when trekking early morning or just for walking around at night.
- It is important to stay hydrated during trekking so bring a water bottle to use on the trail.
- Camera to take pictures of the amazing views of the mountains and scenery.
- Get a good portable charger to charge your electronics.
- A rainproof backpack to fit in all your essential items during the trek.
- Good Quality Duffel bag for rest of your trekking items.
- Sleeping bag with liner
- Get an ebook to pass time during acclimatizing days.
- Microfiber towels
- Travel size toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, wet wipes, tissue paper)
- Light snacks like energy bars and chocolates.
Tips for Manaslu Trek in Spring
- Travel as light as possible. The Manaslu trek is already a strenuous grade trek and you do not want to make it harder for you to complete the trek with your heavy luggage.
- Since the lower regions of Manaslu might experience rain during Spring, please come prepared for the rain.
- Make sure to book your accommodation in advance because Manaslu sees a lot of trekkers during Spring. And you might not find a room if you wait until the end.
- Even though it is Spring and the weather in the lower regions can be hot, the weather in the upper region is always cold. So bring warm clothes to keep you protected from the freezing cold.
QNo. 1 Are solo treks to Manaslu possible in spring?
No, Manaslu is a restricted region, it is mandatory to take a licensed guide with you despite the season you choose to trek in.
QNo. 2 Is it possible to get proper accommodation facilities during Spring?
With all the trekkers coming into this region, you will have to book your accommodation in advance to avoid any problems later.
The accommodation is the same in almost every tea house.
Manaslu Trek in March, April and May are ideal for people who want to enjoy the hustle and bustle of the region. The inflow of trekkers is definitely high. Why wouldn’t it be? It is a peak season and the weather is also amazing.
With stable weather and clear skies, the views are spectacular during Spring.
It is neither too hot nor cold and is perfect for trekking. The occasional sprinkling of rainfall makes the forests and the vegetation lush green, perfect for nature lovers.
For further questions or information, please feel free to contact us.