In this article, we are going to discuss Trekking in Nepal in March.
March indicates the end of winter and brings in spring and warmer days. This is the time of the year when everything around you seems welcoming and colorful. Of course, it is all set for the flowers and greenery. Well, this might also be the best time to explore the Himalayas and the vegetation.
Since winter was just around the corner, the mornings and evenings are still a bit chilly but the days are warmer. You might also experience some rainfall in some lower hilly regions. The weather might change in an instant at higher altitudes.
Above 4000m, there is no guarantee in the weather.
As mentioned, March marks the beginning of the regular trekking season. The best trekking season in Nepal is during Spring and Autumn. March remarks during the first month of spring. It will have fewer trekkers and this number will gradually increase by mid-March.
Spring is the best time of the year to witness the wildflowers in the lush forests if you are into studying the flora and fauna at higher altitudes.
So if you make an early March trekking plan, you will find it to be the best time to trek Nepal. The weather is perfect, not much rainfall and clearer skies. The best part is peaceful and quiet trekking trials. No wonder you will have to wait for a long time to be served meals during peak season. They are the busiest during peak seasons.
The best trekking routes in Nepal at the time of March month would be Annapurna Base Camp Trekking, Gokyo Lake Trek – Cho La Pass- Everest Base Camp Trekking, Everest Panorama Trekking, Jiri to Everest Base Camp Trekking, Manaslu Circuit Trekking, and many other trekking routes. If you are new or have less time left for your holidays, you can choose the shorter and easier trekking routes like the Poon Hill Trekking or Langtang Valley Trekking.
We will help you get your perfect trekking destination according to your time in Nepal. Be sure to contact us for more information regarding the trekking packages.
Table of Contents
- Weather Conditions for Trekking in Nepal in March
- Highlights for Trekking in Nepal in March
- Best Trekking Trails for Trekking in Nepal in March
- Tips for Trekking in Nepal in March
- What to Wear for Trekking in Nepal in March?
- Equipment List for Trekking in Nepal in March
- Trek in Nepal in March – Conclusion
- FAQS – Trekking in Nepal in March
Weather Conditions for Trekking in Nepal in March
The seasons usually are divided into 4 seasons; Autumn or fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer but in Nepal, the seasons are divided into 6 seasons. Spring (Basanta Ritu), Summer (Grishma Ritu), Rainy or Monsoon (Barsha Ritu), Autumn (Sharad Ritu), Pre-winter (Hemanta Ritu) and Winter (Shishir Ritu). March lies in Spring or Basanta Ritu from Chaitra to Baisakh (mid-March till mid-May).
The best month for trekking in Nepal is still considered in October or Autumn, then it’s March-April or Spring.
March is the starting point of spring and the end of the winter season so it is still cold and snowfall may continue till mid-March. The higher altitude regions will still look snowy while the lower altitudes snow begins to meltdown from March.
Since March is a dry season there is less chance of rainfall during Trekking in Nepal in March. The morning and evening skies are pretty clear while the afternoon might bring cloudy skies. The morning will give you an awesome view of the majestic mountain peaks. The sunrise and sunset are at their best. It is almost the same every day except for some occasional rainy days.
No rain means clear skies and scheduled flights.
The temperatures will reach below zero in the mornings and the evenings. However, the daytime is a lot warmer, just an ideal temperature for trekking.
The days are warmer and winter slowly passes by, the days are longer. This is great for any type of trekking. You don’t have to worry about reaching your destination. A slow and enjoyable pace will get you there before the night falls.
Highlights for Trekking in Nepal in March
March, the month of Spring, has an ideal temperature for trekking in the daytime. The main highlight for trekking in Nepal would be the ideal temperature and the greenery of this month. Also, trekking season begins in March so there is less chance of facing a lot of traffic. Shorter meal queues and a wide choice of hotels and tea houses. You get to choose the best the place has to offer.
With the ethnic diversity, you can indulge in the festivities and the cultural display. The festival of colors, mostly celebrated by Hindus, is also in March. Nepalese celebrate Holi with colors and water. It is basically a colorful fiesta. This also indicates the incoming of hotter days. You will see many tourists drawn to Nepal during March for this festival.
Another festival in March is Ghode Jatra. This is a cultural festival and you will witness the variation in celebration of this festival. The head of the country witnessed this festival with several programs put on public display whereas the natives of the capital have a different way to celebrate it.
Well, March is a great time to be in Nepal, and if you are looking to trek, there are many deals that you can score.
- An ideal temperature for trekking in Nepal
- Starting off the regular trekking season
- Peaceful routes and plenty of hotels to stay
- Beautiful sunrise and sunset view
- View of mountain peaks and the Himalayan range
- Longer days
- Enchanting greenery and lush forests
- Celebration of Holi – the festival of colors, a great time to witness the festival of colors. A cultural sight
- Celebration of Ghode Jatra, another cultural activity
Best Trekking Trails for Trekking in Nepal in March
The pleasant weather while Trekking in Nepal in March consists of little/no rainfall. And the best sunrise and sunset views of the great Himalayan ranges, blossoms of flowers in the lush forests. If lucky, you will get to enjoy the clear blue skies with perfect views.
Here are some of the best trekking trails for trekking in Nepal in March.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek in March
One of the most popular trekking routes in Nepal is Annapurna Base Camp Trekking, a legendary and classic trek to explore in March. It offers a great chance to experience the perfect blend of nature and cultural exploration.
Trekking in March gives you a chance to explore the perfect landscape through different terrain. The forest will be in full bloom, allow the rhododendrons, bamboo, and alpine forests to enchant you.
You will encounter the warm welcoming Gurung and Magar villages along with other ethnic groups. You will get the opportunity to explore and learn the culture, traditions, and lifestyles of the locals.
The Annapurna Base Camp Trekking will also give you a spectacular view of mountains peaks like Mt. Dhaulagiri (8167 m), Mt. Annapurna 1st (8091 m), Mt. Manaslu (8163 m), Mt. Nilgiri (7041m), Mt. Fishtail or Mt. Machhapuchhre (6998 m), Mt. Hiunchuli (6441 m), Mt. Lamjung Himal (6986 m) and other surrounding mountain peaks.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek starts and ends in the second biggest city of Nepal, Pokhara. It is a naturally blessed place to relax after the Annapurna region trek. It is also known as the city of seven lakes. So do not miss the opportunity to visit the lakes while you go there.
Highlights of Annapurna Base Camp Trek in March
- A 360-degree panoramic sunrise view of a mountain range from Poon Hill
- Up-close view of Annapurna range and Mount Machhapuchhre
- Floras and faunas of different places
- The hospitality of Gurung, Magar, and other local ethnic groups
- Lush forest with blossoming rhododendron, bamboo, and alpine trees.
- Enjoy the lakes of Pokhara and relax for a day
Gokyo Lake Trek – Cho La Pass- Everest Base Camp
A 16-day trek to the footstep of the world’s highest mountain, Mount Everest, could be anyone’s dream vacation. If you looking for a trek of a lifetime and explore the adventures and beauty of the Khumbu region, Gokyo Lake-Cho La Pass-Everest Base Camp Trekking is not to be missed.
This trek gives you the most spectacular view of the highest peak in the world, a chance to preserve and cherish memories. It gives you chance to explore and visit the world’s highest national park, Sagarmatha National Park, also known as the Khumbu region.
You will get to see many traditional villages with unique cultures and monuments through the route. The hospitality and socio-cultural lifestyle of the locals will make your trek worthwhile and keep you coming back for more.
The spring and month of March give you the chance to explore the blossom of rhododendron and pine forest trails. Since the warmer days are ahead you will also get a chance to get a glimpse of wildlife there like the red panda, musk deer, snow leopards, mountain goats, and other mountain animals.
Highlights of Gokyo Lakes Trek – Cho La Pass- Everest Base Camp
- Spectacular panoramic view of Mount Everest
- Gokyo Lake and Gokyo Ri (5,357 m)
- Cho La pass (5,430 m)
- Tengboche Monastery and other Buddhist Monasteries along the trekking trail
- The highest point of the trek, Kala Patthar (5,545 m)
- Highest trade center, Namche Bazaar (3,438 m)
- Blossoming forest of rhododendron and pine trees
- Glimpse of wildlife
Everest Panorama Trek in March
If you are looking for a short 8-days trek to the footstep of the world’s highest mountain in the world, then Everest Panorama Trekking is the perfect package to indulge in the month of March. You will get that mesmerizing up-close panoramic view.
The warmer days are here so you don’t need to worry about the rainfall and snowfall anymore. Days are warmer and longer. The nights are a bit cold but it is okay as you are inside your guesthouse at that time.
The Everest Panorama Trek in March offers you spectacular views of mountain peaks including Lhotse, Nuptse, Changtse, Ama Dablam, Thamserku, and other mountain peaks along the trekking trail.
The rich and diverse culture of the local people will make you feel warm and welcomed in this journey. You can visit the Sherpa villages and Buddhist Monasteries along the trekking trail. This is a great way to explore the culture of the local people in the region.
Your trek starts after a short flight from Kathmandu to Lukla. Then you begin to trek along the Dudh Koshi river, the highest trade center Namche Bazaar and ends at Tengboche village. You will definitely be mesmerized by the famous Tengboche Monastery and get a spectacular view of the up-close panoramic view of Mount Everest.
Highlights of Everest Panorama Trek in March
- Short 8-day trek to the world’s highest mountain, Mount Everest
- Up-close panoramic view of the Mount Everest
- Acclimatization at the highest trade center, Namche Bazaar (3,438 m)
- Famous Tengboche Monastery
- Panoramic view of series of mountains such as Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Changtse, and Ama Dablam
- Traditional Sherpa villages
Jiri to Everest Base Camp Trek
The first successful climbers of the Mount Everest, Tenzing Norgay Sherpa, and Sir Edmund Hillary used Jiri to Everest Base Camp Trekking route in their historic ascent to summit the highest peak in the world. The route is often called the Classic Everest Base Camp trekking route for the same reason.
During the month, the days are warmer and the morning and nights are still a bit chilly. It is below zero and the weather can be challenging at this time of the year. As it is a bit dry in March, there is a negligible chance of rain or snowfall. This is an old and classic route so there are many stops and it is a 22-day trek. You are less likely to face altitude sickness as you will be gradually ascending.
The highlights of this trek would be peaceful trekking routes. The peak season is just around the corner and hasn’t begun yet.
The trek begins with a scenic drive from Kathmandu to Jiri, the eastern part of the country. Your trekking begins from Jiri and you will be exploring the biodiversity of Sagarmatha National Park also known as the Khumbu region. You will be passing through the world’s highest trade center, Namche Bazaar along with the famous Buddhist monastery Tengboche Monastery.
The weather is clearer in the morning and evenings during Jiri to Everest Base Camp Trekking In Nepal in March. But could get a bit cloudy during the day. Great views of the magnificent view of mountain peaks like Mount Everest, Nuptse, Thamserku, Lhotse, Ama Dablam, Mt. Kwangde.
Highlights of Jiri to Everest Base Camp Trek
- Scenic view from the drive to Jiri
- Up-close magnificent view of the Mount Everest
- Best way to get acclimatization and almost zero altitude sickness
- The famous Monasteries along the trekking route
- Namche Bazaar, the world’s highest trade center (3,438 m)
- Kala Patthar (5,545 m)
- Everest panoramic view from Syangboche and Kala Patthar
Langtang Valley Trekking in Nepal in March
If you are looking for a short trek to the Himalayas influenced by the Tibetan lifestyle in the Langtang region, Langtang Valley Trek is the best and most popular trekking route. The starting of spring gives you an awesome view of the rhododendron, bamboo, and alpine forests.
The warmer and longer days also bring the winter-hibernating wild animals out in the sun. So this is a great chance to encounter some rare birds and animals such as Himalayan black bear, Himalayan Thar, Langur monkeys, wild boar, Red pandas, and other wild animals and birds on the way.
Most of the locals living in the Langtang region are descendants of Tibetan origin. They have their own unique culture, tradition, and lifestyle. You will be close to the locals and get a chance to explore a new culture. With less traffic, you will get more time to explore the landscape and visit monasteries.
Langtang region is not much far from the capital city. Just a few hours’ drives will take you to the beautiful Langtang region. Even though it is close to the capital it still remains aloof of modernity and modern civilization.
The trekking starts from a scenic bus drive from Kathmandu to Syabrubesi. You will then trek from Syabrubesi towards Lama Hotel and Langtang village until Kyanjin Gompa. You will return back taking the same route and then drive to the capital completing this awesome trekking in Nepal in March.
Highlights of Langtang Valley Trek in March
- The scenic drive from Kathmandu to Syabrubesi
- Tradition, culture, and lifestyle of Tibetan-descendant locals
- Kyanjin Gompa (3,870 m)
- Himalayan trekking experience in just 7 days time
- Spectacular view of sunrise from Tserko Ri (4,984 m)
Poon Hill Trek
Want to experience the Himalayan range up-close?
A bit nervous about your first trek?
Or cannot seem to manage your schedule for a long leave?
Well, the Poon Hill Trekking will not disappoint you.
This trek offers spectacular almost 360-degree panoramic views of the Annapurna Mountains. It also offers a pleasant stay at hospitable Magar and Gurung villages along the way.
The main highlight of this trek is the adventure along with a magnificent 360-degree panoramic view of Mt. Annapurna, Annapurna South, Mt. Dhaulagiri, Mt. Manaslu, Fishtail Mountain (Machhapuchhre), and other surrounding mountain range.
March is just perfect for this short trek. The warmer and longer day assures you in reaching Ghorepani on time. You can either choose to rest or hike the following day to Poon Hill. Why miss out on the magical view of the mountain vistas?
This trek also gives an experience of both natural and the cultural aspects of Nepal in the Annapurna region.
Besides the trekking experience, you will also get to see the combination of snow-capped peaks, crystal clear blue lakes, chaotic rivers with deep gorges, sacred Hindu temples, Buddhist monasteries, and hot springs.
Highlights of Poon Hill Trekking in Nepal in March
- Best sunrise panoramic view of Annapurna range, Manaslu, Dhaulagiri, Machhapuchhre, and other mountains from Poon Hill
- Challenging stone steps ascent of Ulleri
- One of the biggest Gurung village in Ghandruk and Magar village at Ghorepani.
- Jungle trekking with the views of the beautiful streams, waterfalls, and the Modi River
- Ghandruk Gurung Museum
- Up-close view of a mountain range from Ghandruk
- Short 7-day Himalayan trekking experience
Manaslu Circuit Trek in March
One of the most challenging treks in the Manaslu Circuit Trek. The cultural and natural beauty of the region is untouched by modernity, as Manaslu Region was opened for recreation only in 1992. It remained a restricted area until then.
Since Manaslu Region is a restricted trekking region, it requires a special permit if you want to trek in this region. Himalayas On Foot has been able to get these special permits to enter the Manaslu trekking region so far but you will need to pre-book the trek.
Manaslu Circuit Trek is rapidly gaining popularity.
This trek offers a wonderful opportunity to witness the rich local heritage and biodiversity of the Manaslu Region. Furthermore, the adventure takes you around Mount Manaslu, the eighth highest mountain in the world.
March is an ideal month for trekking as the days are longer and warmer than the winter months and this is also the start of a regular trekking season. The sky can be cloudy in the daytime, but the sunrise and sunset are extremely beautiful, and you will get to see nature in its truest form. The glimpse of spectacular viewpoints of the highest peaks in the world, including Himal Chuli, Peak 29 (Ngadi Chuli), and Mt. Manaslu is unbeatable.
Highlights of Manaslu Circuit Trek in March
- A scenic drive from Kathmandu to Soti Khola
- View of Budhi Gandaki River Valley
- View of the eighth highest peak in the world, Mount Manaslu (8,156 m)
- Spectacular viewpoints of peaks like Manaslu, Him Chuli, Peak 92, Mt. Ganesh, and others
- Larkya La pass (5153m)
- Untouched Manaslu region, only opened since 1992
Tips for Trekking in Nepal in March
Trekking in Nepal has been a dream for many and anyone can achieve this dream if you have the determination and proper training.
At the time of March, the weather is drastically changing with gusting winds in the daytime and cold chilly mornings and evenings. Even though March marks the end of the winter and the beginning of Spring, the mornings are still chilly and the evenings are just as cold.
Proper gear and clothing will go a long way. You will appreciate proper clothing later. Wearing layers is the best way to challenge the changing temperature.
Here are some tips for trekking in Nepal in March.
- During March, the snow is melting so normal trekking boots might be a bit difficult, it is wise to get accustomed to proper hiking boots with a good sole.
- Trekking poles are a must while trekking no matter the season. This is a great help and it will keep your knees safe and your body balanced.
- Proper items like gloves, mittens, waterproof socks, walking socks, thermal inners, and all the necessary items are to be checked before you commence your journey. These are essentials that you will need to carry.
- You may think of carrying your own luggage and might be tempted to be independent but please pre-think about it. While this might seem like a chore you have always been doing, it might drain you. You might end up feeling exhausted all the time and may miss out a lot in the adventure and fun part. Get a good porter.
- An experienced professional trekking guide is always suggested. These guides have been on significant such treks and will understand the nooks and niches of the place, please be sure to look for a good trekking guide. You will have a pretty awesome time. This is the best way to communicate with the locals too.
- No matter where you are trekking, you will always have to be careful to stay hydrated. This is the key to a stressless trek. When you stay hydrated, you not only feel fresh but will be less likely to suffer from Altitude sickness. This way you will only be making memories.
- Trekking can be a lot of fun especially when trekking in March, all you will need to do is secure your booking and communicate well with your team. A pre-planned trip never goes out in vain.
What to Wear for Trekking in Nepal in March?
It is wise to be prepared no matter where you go. Trekking is the same a bit of preparation will save you from creating bad memories.
When you are trekking for a month close to spring or summer, you should be prepared for the change in the temperature. Because it tends to get warmer during the day, you might end up being tormented by the heat of the clothes you chose to wear for the chilling nights.
Preparing yourself with layered clothing will be extremely comfortable and wise. This way you will get to shed off layer by layer as you begin to feel the heat.
The nights and mornings are almost similar. Stay in layers and changed the outer jacket to suit the temperature. Always take care of your hands, feet, the face; exposed skin areas. Also, be prepared with your daily essentials.
The following list is only a general idea of what you could be carrying depending on your personal needs.
- Synthetic insulated jacket
- Waterproof shell jacket
- Thick jacket
- Windstopper jacket
Head and Hands
- sun hat
- Waterproof and windproof gloves
- Polarized UV sunglasses
- A scarf
- Thermal innerwear
- Hiking undergarments
- Convertible hiking pants
- Merino Base Layers
- Moisture-wicking t-shirts
- Hiking gaiters
- Warm hiking socks
- Winter hiking boots
- Hiking sandals
Equipment List for Trekking in Nepal in March
Here is a list of equipment that you could need for trekking in Nepal in March depending on your personal needs. This is a generalized idea of the list of things you might need.
Toiletries and Personal Hygiene
- Sunscreen and other creams
- Moisturizer and antibacterial sanitizer
- Shampoo and conditioners
- Tissue or toilet paper
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Wet wipes
- Quick-drying towel
- Feminine hygiene products
- Trekking Poles
- Sleeping bag
- Headlamps and extra batteries
- water bottle
- First aid kit
- Extra plastic bags (to store your garbage on your way)
- Fanny Pack
Additional Recommended Items
- Your camera and extra batteries
- Binoculars (optional)
- Maps of route and mountains
- Your personal documents
Trek in Nepal in March – Conclusion
March is an ideal time for trekking in Nepal from a logical as well as weather point of view. It is one of the best seasons to trek. A time where you can score many deals at the tea houses and for accommodations. Because everyone prepares for business for the peak seasons, you can sneak in during March and enjoy many benefits.
Since the trekking season will just start by mid or end of March, the routes aren’t as busy as it is in autumn or mid-spring season. So you will have the best hotel to stay in and quieter trails to trek around.
Trekking in winter could be equally challenging and adventurous if you are a winter person. But monsoon is, however, a risky choice. March, is great weather-wise too. It is not too cold like the winters and not at all hot like the summers.
The days are warmer and longer in March. So no need to rush with your trek. You can enjoy the longer daylight and secure extra time to stroll around or visit local places.
With the clear skies, this is the best season for nature lovers and photographers.
Well? Planned your trip yet?
FAQS – Trekking in Nepal in March
Is it possible to trek in Nepal in March?
Yes, it is definitely possible to trek in Nepal in March. March marks the beginning of the spring season and the end of the winter season. The regular trekking season starts in March so it is definitely trekking time in Nepal. Thus, it is a great time to be here.
How is the weather and temperature like in March?
The weather is unpredictable in the Himalayas. It changes drastically. But at the time of March, the days will begin to get warm whereas the morning and nighttime are still cold and often gets below zero. Between 1000m-3500 m, the temperature could be anywhere from 20-5 degrees low. At higher altitudes, the temperature ranges from 20 to -5 and sometimes -10 or -20 depending on the snowfall, which doesn’t happen mostly in March.