In this article, we are going to discuss Annapurna Base Camp Trek Weather.
The Himalayan range in Nepal is popular for its natural beauty and trekking. Trekking to Annapurna Base Camp is an ultimate goal for many trekking enthusiasts and travelers. The best season to trek Annapurna Base Camp is during the autumn and spring seasons. Having said that, the weather up in the Himalaya changes drastically in any season. So you need to be prepared and pack your stuff according to the season you are trekking.
The main attraction point to trek Annapurna Base Camp is the magnificent 360-degree panoramic view of the mountain ranges like Mt. Machhapuchhre (6993 m), Mt. Annapurna III (7555 m), Mt. Manaslu (8163 m), Mt. Nilgiri (7041 m), Mt. Gangapurna (7454 m), Mt. Singu Chuli (6501 m), Mt. Annapurna I (8091 m), Mt. Annapurna South (7219 m), Mt. Hiunchuli (6441 m), Mt. Lamjung Himal (6986 m), Baraha Shikhar (7647 m), Nilgiri South (6839 m), Tukuche (6920 m), Mt. Dhaulagiri (8167 m), and many other surrounding mountain peaks.
If you trek in the regular and best seasons, the mountain ranges are clearly visible along the trekking route and you can have different views from different viewpoints. The lush green forests of alpine, bamboos, and the red flower of rhododendron and other colorful flowers on the trekking path will ease your eyes and give you a sigh of relief.
Another highlight of the Annapurna Base Camp Trek is the opportunity to witness the diverse culture, tradition, lifestyle of the local ethnic groups along the trekking trail. The varying lifestyle and settlements of the different ethnic local groups, Brahmin, Chettri, Magar, Gurung, Tamang, and Sherpas add to your trekking experience..
No matter what season you decide to trek on, you should train be get prepared for the worst so that you can get the best trekking experience possible. For further information, please feel free to contact us.
Some Facts on Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- Mountain region trekking experience in the Annapurna Region, Machhapuchhre Base Camp and Annapurna Base Camp.
- Pristine 360 degrees view of the beautiful mountain ranges
- A detour round trip from Ghorepani, Poon hill towards Annapurna Base Camp will give you outstanding near 360-degree picturesque view of the magnificent Himalayan range.
- Numerous fountains and a hot spring near Jhinu Danda
- A unique opportunity to indulge in the diverse culture, tradition, lifestyle, and settlement of the local ethnic groups such as Gurung, Magar, Brahmin, Chettri, and other tribes
- Passing through the beautiful lush forest of rhododendron, alpine, bamboo, and other trees
- Rest day on the first and final day at the beautiful lake city, Pokhara
Table of Contents
Annapurna Base Camp Weather and Seasons
Amongst the four seasons (Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter), Autumn is considered as the best season to trek in Nepal. But, every season is different and has unique Annapurna Base Camp Trek Weather and climate conditions.
Regardless, people trek in Nepal in almost every season and month. All you need is determination and proper preparation and you can achieve your goal to trek even in the most unpredicted weather up in the Himalayas. All you have to do is do proper research on the weather updates, proper preparation and packing of gears and equipment according to the season.
Let us discuss the Annapurna Base Camp Trek weather in different seasons.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek Weather in Spring
After Autumn, the Spring season is considered the best season. The winter has just left its footmark and the days will become warmer in springtime. The Annapurna Base Camp Trek Weather, climate and the temperature are just perfect at this time of the year. The time from March till May is the Spring season in Nepal.
The dry forests are alive and breathing in spring. The forests are full of blossoms of colorful flowers and green trees of rhododendron, alpine, bamboo and others trees. Nature is at its best and healing itself. The hilly regions are remarkably beautiful. It is heavenly to be in the lush jungle forests trekking up and down the route and discovering new plants.
As the days are warmer and the forests are full of blossoming green trees and colorful flowers everywhere, the hibernating exotic animals come out. Some of the wildlife you will be able to notice on this trek are white langur, monkeys, Himalayan Tahr, musk deer, long-tailed bird and other species of birds.
The springtime marks are the start of trekking season in Nepal so the trekking routes will most likely be full of trekkers coming from different parts of the world. You can meet other trekkers and share your experiences of your mutual trekking journey.
The sky is clearer than during winter but you might see some clouds and even experience some downpour. The weather is unpredictable, especially up in the higher regions towards the Himalayan region. The average temperature throughout the season is around 17 degrees. The early spring will have somewhat freezing mornings and evenings as the winter will just have passed. At daytime, the temperature may rise up to 20 degrees and you might feel sweaty most of the times. Overall, the temperature is more than perfect for trekking during the Spring season.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek Weather in Summer
The summer season is often called the monsoon or the rainy season in Nepal. The months from June to August is Summer season in Nepal. The Annapurna base camp trek weather is quite unfair as it rains most of the time.
This time often considered as offseason to trek, as some parts of the trekking routes are closed due to landslide and avalanche from heavy rainfall. However trekking in summer is definitely possible with proper preparation and right set of equipments and gears.
It is also the perfect time to explore the plants and is an opportunity for a keen botanist to explore the wilderness at its best. The early morning may gift you a perfect sunrise view of the snow-capped mountains.
One more advantage of trekking in summer is that the trekking routes are not as crowded as in the regular season. You will get the best accommodation at the best tea house, guest house, or homestay in your trekking rest stops.
The temperature, at this time of the year, ranges anywhere from 18 to 39 degrees. If it doesn’t rain the temperature might even go up.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek Weather in Autumn
The best time of the year to trek in Nepal has always been in the Autumn season. The Annapurna Base Camp Trek Weather, climate, temperature and everything is just perfect at this time of the year.
The month from September to November is Autumn season in Nepal. The clear blue sky is never clearer as in this season. The best part is the view of the picturesque mountain peaks in the Annapurna region.
As the monsoon just passed by, it is less dusty. The forest is alive with all the greenery to spread and give you peace of mind.
Imagine trekking along the Himalayan range up till the horizon, beautiful green valley and surrounded by forest. Amazing sunrise and sunset at every rest stop. Indeed, Autumn is beautiful.
The days are warmer with chilly mornings and evenings up in the higher altitudes. The temperature perfectly stays from 15 to 17 degrees. The temperature might fall below freezing point up in the higher area, especially at the end of the Autumn.
However, the Annapurna Base Camp Trek weather can change drastically. The clear weather can certainly change into blizzards so it’s best to be prepared and take proper gear and equipment, just to be on the safe side.
Trekking season means a lot of traffic. You have to pre-book your seats to trek at this time of the year.
Annapurna Base Camp Trek Weather in Winter
The chilly mornings and evenings are no more there as it will be below freezing point in the winter season up in the mountainous region. The time from December to February marks as Winter season in Nepal.
Most of the trekkers avoid to trek in winter season due to the cold weather and thick layer of snow in the upper part of the trekking route. But if the weather is not a problem for you, you will love the chill and the privileges that you receive during winter treks.
Enjoy less traffic and enjoy the peace and openness. Only a few of the best places to stay in the rest stops are open. You will not face any queue to get your meals in time.
The mornings and the nighttime are mostly harsh as it reaches below zero to -20 degrees. You will experience rainfall in hilly region and snowfall in the upper region. When the sun rises, the temperature gradually increases to up to 9 to 12 degrees and remains below zero in mornings and evenings.
Because you will be accompanied by a porter, do not miss out any extra clothing in your packing list. Layers of warm clothing should do the job. Also, when you are at tea houses, be sure to warm yourself in the kitchen area. A fire will be lit for the visitors.
Some Extra Tips to Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- If you are trekking for the first time, choose the best season to trek. The weather and climate are ideal for trekking and the routes are clear in the best seasons. The best seasons to trek Annapurna Base Camp are autumn and spring season.
- Choosing gear and equipment is a vital part of your trekking. Even the best season might give you hard time up in the mountains, as weather can drastically change up there.
- Taking a bug repellent in summer trekking will be a good idea as the forests in the lower regions will be full of mosquitoes, flies, and other bugs all around. The upper region is still cold so you will not get bug problems up there.
- The best seasons brings a lot of trekkers up to the Annapurna Base Camp. The trekking route during the best seasons will be crowded with trekkers coming from all over the world. Early trek will reduce a lot of hassles.
- Taking care of your body and health is equally important when you are on a trek. If your body is dehydrated, you will get weaker and you might get altitude sickness up in the higher regions. Stay hydrated.
- Taking some extra snacks like energy bars, chocolates and other dry foods are recommended as it will give you instant energy.
- The temperature up in the mountains is chilly during the mornings and nighttime. So you will need to take warm clothes with you.
- Train your body well for the trekking. If you are trekking in winter, you could need extra training regarding walking on the snow with crampons. The cold temperature up in the mountains will make you get high altitude sickness so do not rush.
Conclusion – Annapurna Base Camp Trek Weather
Trekking in Annapurna Base Camp is possible in all four seasons. With proper training and preparation, you can achieve the goal of trekking in Annapurna region at any season.
The weather up in the mountains is really unpredictable in any season. A sunny day can turn dramatically into a blizzard storm. So it’s best to be well prepared and go ahead with your trekking.
Trekkers from all around the world come to visit Nepal with the main goal of trekking in higher mountains. The Annapurna Base Camp Trek has been one of the most desired/visited trekking routes in Nepal.
All the four different seasons have unique features and experience to give away. You can set your trekking time and date according to your preferences and time availability. Pre-booking is extremely helpful and wise.
You can contact us for any further queries, we are committed to providing you with the best trekking experience.